Today, we’re going to look at some common causes of a weak chin. We’ll also look at some issues of having a weak chin brings and what you can do to correct it. A weak chin is not a sign of any problems from a medical perspective, nor does it cause any significant issues.
Possible Causes of a Weak Chin
There are multiple causes of a weak chin. You may have one or various issues to address. A weak chin — also called a receding chin — often presents itself as a jaw and chin with rounded angles instead of defined tight features.
It’s Your Birthright (Or Curse)
As you age, nature takes its course, whether we like it or not. It’s a natural process for your body to lose muscle definition. And for many people, they’ll also suffer from bone loss. So, how does this cause a weak chin? We’re glad you asked. As you age, your jaw develops a higher angle, which causes you to lose definition in the lower half of your face. You can also end up with sagging skin that makes your chin look weak.
A History of Sucking Your Thumb
Many children have a habit of sucking their thumb as a baby. But when children continue this habit past the age of five, it can cause improper development of the lower face that follows them around for a lifetime. This issue is also why doctors warn against babies using a bottle past the age of one.
Sucking your thumb long-term, or long-term exposure to a bottle or pacifier, can cause a change in the shape of the jawline. It can also move the location of your teeth, which alters the jawline.
When a person has an overbite, their top front teeth overlap the bottom. This issue causes the lower jaw to be pushed further back, which produces a weak jawline.
With severe overbites, it may be necessary to have corrective surgery to repair the issue. Problems with talking and chewing are common issues from overbites too.
Problems that Come from Having a Weak Jaw
The main issue with having a weak jaw is your self-confidence. Most, if not all, people will not face any problems from having a weak jaw. A weak jaw may alter your appearance, but it does not cause any physical problems.
Males with weak chins may get teased for having a babyface due to the excess skin collection that comes with a weak chin. Growing a beard is a great way to hide a weak chin.
Weak chinned females may feel less confident when they do not have a strong jaw line too. You may feel like you look older than other people your age.
Other things you may notice are thinner lips, a rounder, puffy chin and cheeks, and more wrinkles. Learning to apply makeup that highlights other features is an easy and quick way to reduce the look of a weak chin.
Can You Change a Weak Jaw with Exercise?
There may not have been a solution for a weak jaw at before, but this isn’t the case today. There are a few different jaw sculpting exercises you can use to change a weak jaw, along with the following:
- Massages: Some research shows that facial massages can help restructure your jawline. Using fingers or a unique stone face massager are the best methods.
- Jawzrsize: A Jawzrsize ball is a silicone tool that helps strengthen your jaw, making it more pronounced and strong with ultra-targeted points to hit jaw muscles. To exercise your jaw, you just bite down on the silicone ball for a few minutes each day.
- Mewing: Mewing is when you flatten the tongue against the top of the mouth, which can temporarily change your jaw’s structure, but this isn’t going to offer you any long-term appearance.
- Surgery: if you want a permanent solution, you could opt for a surgical route. Chin augmentation is where you get implants inserted under your skin to make your jaw more pronounced. For some people, surgery may be the only option that produces noticeable results.
- MedSpa Treatments: Dermal fillers are a soft gel that’s injected into your jaw to reduce the boniness but needs to be done every few months. Botox is another option that can help by slimming your facial structure, so your jaw becomes more prominent.
Benefits of Having a Strong Chin
Having a weak jaw can make chewing and eating difficult. Your chin plays a vital role in your ability to chew with your lip continence. Your chin has several muscles that help support your jaw during the everyday mechanical stresses, like chewing and talking.
Another benefit of a strong chin is that it improves your attractiveness. Many people find a strong, defined jaw as a sign of good genes and good breeding. From an evolutionary standpoint, people with a strong chin have had a higher chance of being a sought-after companion.